This Eid....

So, I had a fabulous time celebrating with friends in spite of my best attempts at a miserable day. 

I’d woken up at about the usual time but was somehow unable to get out of bed. The person I wanted to spend time with was miles away and I just wasn’t happy about it. Never mind that distance was not the only challenge, I decided it was and sulked. Hard. And I stayed in bed reading my current reading material. 

When Lil Miss awoke hours later, all sunshine and brightness, I groaned. She was in such a cheery mood, I was irritated. She immediately announced she was going to get ready so she could go to my friend’s house within the estate and I gave permission but she must have assumed I was speaking sarcastically because she got ready and took to looking in on me every 30minutes or so till I was forced to get out of bed and get ready. 

She wanted to walk there and I chuckled as I remembered how this had been the plan a year ago and how that had worked out. We had resorted to taking the car when the heavens poured dogs and cats the year before so I wasn’t looking forward but I got ready. Then I threatened to wear my new trainers on the native I picked out. 

Finally, we set out and I looked accusingly at the sky and wondered when the clouds would gather and rain would come down but no such luck! Everything was conspiring against me. We took off and as usual got into conversation and teasing and chasing and all. We generally always have a great time together, me and the girls. 

She rounded a corner and I followed and then she slowed and asked why I did not call her back as I usually do and I responded that I had told her she could go there by herself anyway. It was then she believed I was actually granting permission earlier. Minutes later, we were at our host’s very posh house. 

Entering, we saw her husband doing the chopping of the ram and saw how flushed he looked. Obviously enjoying this more than he should. Entering the kitchen, we were engulfed by sights and smells that were beyond divine and last minute preparations to receive guests. It was so nice and warm and cosy. Minutes later, others arrived and soon, the eating commenced. 

The meal was a buffet spread type thing where you use your hand to do yourself. It was amusing to watch accomplished females take charge of feeding their husbands and thought about how that would usually be an ish for some but not these women. I felt so blessed to know them and to be with them. The talk as we ate was mostly about our work space and some of the going-ons there and it was great. The children ran around and the men sat on a porch while we  commandeered the dining table. 

My Professor friend and I showed ourselves as we were subtly reminded of our posh aspirations when we were chomping away at our meal when another friend arrived and placed a mat on the table before placing her plate on there. We blushed blue and purple and asked for mats too! We had so much fun. 

Time to fire up the barbeque for some of the meat and we all pitched in and soon, the designated taster had some work to do.

Finally, the rain showed up but we were safe under the porch at this time and a lively discussion spanning Nigeria, Buhari and finally Telcos ensued. I had to dash home to get suya pepper as the seasoning was declared too sedate for our Nigerian palate by our designated taster and I got drenched so I changed into jeans and a warm sweater. 

The rest of the night passed in companionable talking (and listening on my part as I sipped my tea), seeing friends off and getting food packs ready to leave. We were dropped off at home at way past both our bed times bearing take away food, meat and small chops.  And I can truly report, it was a beautiful celebration.

While we spoke as we ate, some important talk came up and I received some insight that I was very glad to get. I know great women. They are as dissimilar as they come but in the over 20years now that I have known them all, their uniqueness is never a disadvantage. Always, they do a little here and there but they constantly do their bit and THAT is what life is about. I savoured this knowledge and it tripled my enjoyment to think that in perhaps 20years hence, we will sit around and the tiny bits will still be making a difference. So awesome.


So, how was your Eid?

Comments